Monday 1 August 2011

Writing exercises galore!!

With perfect timing (seeing as it's my CampNaNo month and I need to get hoppin'), Charmaine Clancy of Wagging Tales is holding a blogfest:

Imagination Sparks Blogfest


It's all about posting a writing exercise and trying out other people's. My favourite writing exercise is actually more of a characterisation exercise.

The Character Interview! 

  • Imagine you're a journalist, writing a column for your favourite newspaper/magazine. 
  • Pick a character you've been having problems with
  • Invite him or her to your office, offer them coffee/tea/lemonade
  • Play 20 questions with them! All questions must be relevant to the character and/or the plot. He/she asks you about things that will or did happen in the story, you ask him/her about what they think, feel, whatever. 
  • Rinse and repeat as necessary ; P
I absolutely adore this exercise. Many, many of my plot and character problems have resolved themselves during these interviews. Sometimes, we (the character & I) discover entirely new storylines and plot points. I can definitely recommend this, particularly if you're suffering from writers' block! 

Have fun! 


Photobucket

ps. here's some character interviews I've done before:


9 comments:

Creepy Query Girl said...

That sounds like fun! I like the 100 things about my character excersise too. By the time you're done, you know them inside and out.

Charmaine Clancy said...

Great exercise Tessa - I'll give it a whirl and let you know - good timing, I am having a LOT of trouble with one main character and think they need a total overhaul!
Wagging Tales - Blog for Writers

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good exercise. I did something similar for another blogfest.

Unknown said...

@Creepy: 100 things? Haven't tried that yet but I think I will!

Unknown said...

@Charmaine: Thanks for this blogfest! What a cool idea to get writing.

@Alex: There was a character interview blogfest once, did you mean that? And also THANK YOU for being such a faithful commenter! We must be online at similar times for you to always pop in so soon after I post, LOL. LUV YA!

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Hi Tessa. I found you through Captain Alex. Glad to join your following and I'm always up for a hate fest.
Cheers!

Dawn M. Hamsher said...

I love this exercise! I've done it before and it really does help!

The Write Soil

Ella said...

I love your fun take! Inviting them for lemonade adds to the magic of ease. We need to relax to let the ideas flow~ Great Ideas~

Gabriela Pereira said...

Great exercise! I often use the 20 questions part to create characters as well. I'll pre-determine 20 crazy questions (chocolate or vanilla? designer label or off the rack?) then I let the flip of a coin determine the outcome. Voila! A character full of quirks and contradictions.

Looking for something?

Related Posts with Thumbnails