Thursday 19 September 2013

From FYI to WTF....

I've recently come across an article by Adrian Magson in Writers' Magazine with the rather ambiguous title of "Spell it Out". "Make sure readers know exactly what you are talking about," says he. 

OMG (= Oh my God) that's so true it isn't even funny. I mean, using acronyms in twitter may be a useful way to fit the word limit, but anywhere else (and sometimes there, too) it's worth the time spent on explaining what you mean. Not everybody is up on the lingo, so to speak. You can't expect your readers to know everything, especially if you're aiming to market your book internationally. What a reader from the US understands without question doesn't necessarily hold any meaning for someone from Spain, or Greece, or Russia. Or worse, it might mean something completely different. That holds true on other levels, but let's stick with acronyms for now. 

Here's a couple I use that are probably understandable: 

FYI
OMG
ROFL
LOL
CIA
FBI
NSA
TGIF
ELTB
SSDD
ASAP
SYL


I think I'd feel safe enough using any of those in a story, should it fit the context, but mostly I'd do as Mr Magson advises and make sure the reader knows what I'm talking about. 

What do you use regularly and  have you come across any strange ones that you had to look up? How much explaining do you think one should do when writing, and how much can you just imply and trust the reader will understand?



Photobucket

ps. spot the acronym I smuggled into the list... *grins*

4 comments:

Mia Hayson said...

Edinburgh and Lothians Tourist Board? Enterprise-Level Transition Broker? Eggs look terrible blue? Even little Tupperware breaks? Every little tarantula barks?

I feel really dumb but I don't know what ELTB means that one totally missed me and I know what YOLO means and ROFL and all those things so I don't know how that happened.... :-S

Wait was it a smuggled acronym? Am I going mad? WHAT IS REALITY? AHHH.

<3 <3 <3

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I try to avoid using any with the exception of the IWSG. That's a lot to spell out every time.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I haven't noticed it much in reading novels but I get confused a lot on twitter and fb.

Unknown said...

@Mia LOL it's EVERYBODY LOVES TESSA'S BLURB, of course!

hehehehehehe

@ Alex... yep, I think that's the way to go!

@ Susan.. twitter drives me nuts sometimes!!

Looking for something?

Related Posts with Thumbnails