It's all about posting a writing exercise and trying out other people's. My favourite writing exercise is actually more of a characterisation exercise.
The Character Interview!
- Imagine you're a journalist, writing a column for your favourite newspaper/magazine.
- Pick a character you've been having problems with
- Invite him or her to your office, offer them coffee/tea/lemonade
- Play 20 questions with them! All questions must be relevant to the character and/or the plot. He/she asks you about things that will or did happen in the story, you ask him/her about what they think, feel, whatever.
- Rinse and repeat as necessary ; P
I absolutely adore this exercise. Many, many of my plot and character problems have resolved themselves during these interviews. Sometimes, we (the character & I) discover entirely new storylines and plot points. I can definitely recommend this, particularly if you're suffering from writers' block!
ps. here's some character interviews I've done before: