Saturday 13 March 2010

books and movie-stars

I've been browsing the net (mostly wasting time I don't have) and stumbled across this one site on facebook. Amongst other things it's full of people suggesting the actors they imagine should play the different characters in a film version of the anita blake books by laurell k hamilton.

And what a fun exercise that was! (No I'm not being sarcastic)

It did, however, make me doubt my imagination at points - though to be fair I felt that way when I read the comic version. You know, when you read a book, you have a certain picture in your mind of the characters  the story is about. For me, these pictures develop rather fast, sometimes before there's been any sort of physical description in the book.

This can lead to disappointment when watching the movie, definately. And the more popular the book was, the more difficult the casting probably is. I mean, so many different people, with so many pictures firmly set in their minds, how are you going to find someone who actually fits?

I did actually post some of my suggestions for the Anita Blake actors, and was admittedly somewhat surprised at the rather indignant response I got about how unsuitable those choices were given the descriptions in the book. I had to think long and hard to reply to that.

I mean, I guess I didn't take the whole exercise very seriously, which apparently is a sacrilege in and of itself. But why should I? Also, like I said, everybody has certain pictures in their mind, and surely no two such pictures will be the same. Such is the joy of reading a book.

Once you have these pictures in your head, I guess some illustrations and/or actors just strike a chord. Or perhaps they just appeal in a more general way.

Well I guess that's it for my rant for now.

No comments:

Looking for something?

Related Posts with Thumbnails