Wednesday 1 February 2012

Insecure Writers' Support Group, #1

Hello everybody!

Welcome to my Blurb. This is my first post for the wonderful Alex J Cavanaugh's Insecure Writers Support Group....


This is a blog hop where we (insecure writers everywhere - or at least those that were lucky enough to come across Alex' Blog) share our thoughts, problems, hopes, dreams, and whatever else occurs to us in our writerly endeavours. It's about having a peer group, getting support, and maybe that all-important little "Go on, you can do it" that we all need at some point or another. 

For me, my writerly life has been put on hold at the moment. This is a recurring theme for me - so much so that I never seem to finish anything - but right now, I have a huge project in the works in my money-paying job (I won't say real life job, because writing is real life, too, isn't it?). I also have a humongous exam I need to pass beginning of March, so I'll probably be offline for most of February. I hate studying, my concentration is rubbish, and I have no time to go to the lectures that may help me along (the day job again). 

So. I have several (countless) WIPs at various stages of (un)development. My "pet", Merle's story (you can read bits about him in my past posts), is about this far *holding up thumb and forefinger* from being done, but...but....there's something wrong with it and I've read and re-read, written and re-written bits and pieces of it so often I've decided to put it aside for a while. It's stewing in my desk drawer right now. 

I also have a cast of favourite characters that always seem to try to pop up in each others' (totally unrelated) stories. They hang around at the back of my mind and try to shout me down on occasion, preferably when I'm in the middle of studying. 

Duh. 

Do you have a couple of favourite characters that don't leave you alone, even if you've put aside the story? Or am I just weird? Or maybe it's my subconscious trying to mess with my studying... 

#headdesk

Really. 

Here's the rest of the Support Group - this is a blog hop, remember? Go on, say a word to some of the others! 



Photobucket

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry you're experience character invasion in your stories! Hope you pass the exam with flying colors. And I like the comment about stages of (un)development - funny!

Christine Rains said...

I have characters that do that. You're not alone! I swear they have some sort of sentience and they're out to get me.

Nicki Elson said...

Yes, they bug me and I've found the only way to get them to quiet down is to FINISH their story. But now's obviously not the right time for you to do that, so tuck them in somewhere cozy and PROMISE you'll get back to them by the end of March. ;)

Good luck on your project and exam, and welcome to IWSG.

Tasha Seegmiller said...

Life gets in the way sometimes. I think the key is to keep finding a way to write those characters - even if it is just a sentence a day.

Cherie Reich said...

You're not alone! I have characters that pop up and won't leave me alone. Sometimes it is the same characters and other times, new ones.

Good luck on your project and exam!

dolorah said...

Yeah; I have a set of characters that reside in a "file" most of the time.

They're engaging characters, the one story I really want to get out; but I've worked, reworked, and re-read so often I don't even see the words onthe page any more. I see the Lifetime movie :) But, something is just a little off about their story . .

Perhaps it is time for beta readers to help point you in the right direction?

Good luck on your major project for the day job. It sounds exciting.

........dhole

dolorah said...

Yeah; I have a set of characters that reside in a "file" most of the time.

They're engaging characters, the one story I really want to get out; but I've worked, reworked, and re-read so often I don't even see the words onthe page any more. I see the Lifetime movie :) But, something is just a little off about their story . .

Perhaps it is time for beta readers to help point you in the right direction?

Good luck on your major project for the day job. It sounds exciting.

........dhole

Angela McCallister said...

Maybe your character haunting means you should write a series so some of them get their own stories ;)

I often have my main characters on my mind at odd times of day, but the most haunting I've had was from a secondary character. As I wrote, he kept popping in again and again and again, and he was so darn funny and sweet and totally male, I decided to give him his own book.

I know it's disappointing to cut back on writing time. Maybe you'll have a chance to reserve just one day to spend a couple hours on it. I often work while I eat, but my family's not with me now so I can actually do that.

Mark Lawrence said...

good luck with the exam!

Sometimes a break from writing helps out & you come back stronger.

Looking for something?

Related Posts with Thumbnails