Tuesday 27 December 2011

10 Things I didn't do in 2011

Christmas is over and the whole year is coming to an end. It's time to take stock, sort out my desk and make the inevitable collection of what-to-do-next-year list.

So I thought I'd share with you guys all those things on my list that are going to make it onto next year's list, too... *sigh*

OK so I'll only share 10 things, but believe me, there's more.


  1. Finish one of the WIPs to the point where it can actually be submitted somewhere
  2. Stop hopping from one idea to the next shiny new thing
  3. Actually organize my desk rather than just shuffling papers to and fro
  4. Lose weight (yea, perpetual favourite there)
  5. Be consistent with my blogging. Okay, so that worked for the first part of the year, but I've really been lazy blog-wise lately and I'm sorry to have lost touch with so many of my bloggy friends. I shall endeavour to do better! 
  6. Complete several reading challenges. I did pretty well, considering - I managed the 100-books thing on Goodreads - but I've been really, really lax in blogging about it or even keeping my lists up to date.
  7. I managed to fail my own (!!) reading challenge - I've only gotten through five classics this year, and didn't write a single review. #headdesk, as one would say on Twitter. 
  8. Finish my (second) degree, which failed due to administrative problems (apparently I'm not the only one who messes with paperwork). 
  9. I also wanted to write a couple of short stories. I managed exactly one, and even that one is not looking good in edits. Maybe I'm not cut out for keeping things short? 
  10. Go visit more blogs and comment regularly, which is like the common-courtesy-handshake-thingy of the blogging world. And yet I failed so many times. My bad. Forgive me? 
Anyhows, I hope I'll manage to get more stuff done in 2012.... 


Photobucket

11 comments:

Angela McCallister said...

Don't beat yourself up too much, lol. I've been off the blogosphere for over a year. Fell better? Yeah, thought so. I'm good w/ the reading thing, usually hitting 100 somewhere in the fourth month, sooner if you count novellas.

My biggest "did't do" is a finished revision. I just. Don't. Stop... Ever! And I do the oooh, shiny also. That's partly why I'm never done revising. I'm off to the next WIP instead.

I guess we'll do better next year. Maybe it'll help to do a mid-year evaluation.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Well, I hope you will counter this post with a list of what you DID do!!!

Angela McCallister said...

LOL! I actually did do some things. My MS finaled in the From The Heart RWA's 2011 Golden Gateway, and my second MS finaled in the Alaska RWA's 2011 Breakup Scene Contest. I restarted my blog and started catching up with old buddies (YAY!) I started two new manuscripts, and I may be done with one before the year's out. I have a request for full ms from one of the Big Six that I'm about to send (fingers x'd) I lost thirty lbs since Oct and I left sea duty for good.

Wow. Thanks, Alex. It has been a good year.

Christine Rains said...

I agree with Alex. Let's hear of the great things you did do! I didn't make a few of my goals either, but the only one lording that over me is myself. 2012 will be a step forward!

Unknown said...

LOL next tuesday I'll post 10 Things I accomplished in 2011...

@ Angela: WOW how cool is that!!! that's lots of stuff done!!! Uhm...how did you do the weight loss thing? (stupid question, I know, can't seem to help myself)

@ Alex: LOL

Unknown said...

@ Christine: You're absolutely right. 2012 will be a great year, I know it will.

Angela McCallister said...

First step to weight loss for me was leaving the ship, so that won't help anyone else. The food prep was fatty, fried or sugared. Ex: spinach was served with tons of cheese & bacon (Mmmmm, bacon).

But the biggest difference is how I eat, not so much what. Now that I'm off the ship, I'm free to eat any time I'm hungry. I eat pretty much every 2-3 hours, but they're really just snacks. About 200 calories or so, maybe 300. And I drink a lot of water. I figured out that when I get snacky at night, it's because I'm dehydrated. You could eat six or seven times a day and not go over 1800 calories. I personally can't eat that often (usually maxed at five).

I still eat out about twice a week (usually sushi, which isn't so bad), and it doesn't kill my progress to have a big dinner occasionally. I've eaten popcorn at the theater, monster steaks, and cheesecake on Thanksgiving. I only work out twice a week for half an hour, so I could definitely do better on getting in shape--losing weight's only half the battle ;)

The snack all day concept works well. I lost 100 lbs in a year after my first baby that way. I never feel deprived, and I've gotten to where I can't eat large, fatty meals anymore. Sorry this is so long, lol. Hope you reach your goals and then some!

Unknown said...

OOh that sounds like something that could work for me. I'm really bad with the 'fixed meal times' theory of dieting. I'll give that a try I think! Hello, new goal!

Angela McCallister said...

LOL, I'm here if you need moral support. I can't do diets. I love chocolate and bacon and huge ribeye steaks too much! It's weird to say I eat less when really I'm always eating, but I do eat a lot less now.

Myne said...

Don't worry too much about it, Tomorrow is another day I guess. Have a fantastic new year!

Anonymous said...

A very sensible list of missed things. It's interesting you chose to write about things you couldn't do while others would have preferred to do otherwise.

Best of luck for your endaevours in 2012!

Cheers :)

Looking for something?

Related Posts with Thumbnails