Tuesday 3 January 2012

10 Things I plan to do in 2012

10 Things Tuesday + Beginning of the Year = A List of Writerly Resolutions...


  1. This year, I've signed up for three Reading Challenges (see tab above) and I plan on completing them all (they do overlap somewhat, as Alex pointed out yesterday, so that should be doable) 
  2. I will be blogging at least three times a week
  3. I want to be more proactive in commenting on other people's blogs - I've seriously been slagging off in that respect - Sorry guys. 
  4. I've almost signed up for the Write One Sub One thingy, but then didn't because knowing myself I will just plain fail at it and I resolve not to set myself up for failure this year. Challenges, yes. Failure, no. Know your limits, I say. 
  5. I want to finish/edit/submit the three short stories that have been hibernating on my hard drive for most of last year. Two of them are horror/suspense stories, one is a fantasy/romance thingymajig. And I want to do this before I start a new one. 
  6. I will make notes of all Shiny New Ideas in my journal, but will not pursue them until I have time to give them the attention they deserve. By this I mean no more half-written stories if I can at all help it. 
  7. My writing desk will no longer resemble the illegitimate offspring of a fleamarket and a tornado-stricken library. No, really. 
  8. I will participate in NaNoWriMo again in November, but will NOT take part in any other NaNo-like challenges because quite frankly I have to do some paying work, too. That way I can really have fun in November and not just groan at the effort/time it takes. 
  9. I will seriously consider what to write for a thesis. I'm close to that point in my academic career, and it pays to have an idea of what you want to do before the time comes to find an appropriate supervisor. 
  10. That said, I will finish all other coursework/paperwork asap, so I can truly get on with it. 
There, that's 10 doable things for 2012! I have a couple of less realistic ones, too, but I want to stick with these for now. 

How about you? What are your writerly resolutions, or are you anti-resolution? 


Photobucket

12 comments:

Christine Rains said...

Good luck! Those are great goals. I didn't know there was an official Write 1/Sub 1 thingy until a few people commented on my blog. One of my goals is to do that. Yet I'm sort of nervous about it, too, because my free time is not a constant thing with a toddler.

Happy new year!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You have a plan! Sometimes it is good to know your limits as well.

Spanj said...

That looks like a great list; and all very realistic and achievable too. I'm far too disorganised to make any such list. Maybe being organised should be the thing for this year...?

Matthew MacNish said...

Hi Tessa. I'm just popping over from Alex's blog, and am now your newest follower, so:

Nice to meet you!

stu said...

It sounds like you're planning a busy year.

Cherie Reich said...

Good luck with your goals! And it really is good to know your limits. I always plan for more than I can accomplish, and I'm trying not to do that as much. :)

Nicole Zoltack said...

Good luck reaching all of your goals! I agree about not setting goals to high that you're doomed for failure before you start.

Denise Covey said...

Hi Tessa. I come around every so often to see how you're doing but I haven't heard from you for ages. I enjoyed reading your goals. I hope you meet them all. I checked out Write One Sub One too but it seems to be sci-fi only. Nevertheless I've made it a goal to submit at least one of my stories each week along with any other achievable goals. I'd never miss NaNo. Love it.

Happy New Year!

Denise

Rebecca T. said...

A lot of your goals sound like my goals too :) Good luck!

Unknown said...

My favorite is number 7: "My writing desk will no longer resemble the illegitimate offspring of a fleamarket and a tornado-stricken library."

:-)

Good luck! And happy new year!

Unknown said...

Good luck with your goals! Sometimes I fall victim to making lofty goals, too. All of yours sound do-able.

My number one goal is to finish my WIP this year and get it out for query. I've made some interim goals to get me there and keep me on track.

Tasha Seegmiller said...

I love goals and plans and ideas. I love that you are letting ideas marinate until they are ready to be written. Can't wait to see what the year has in store for you - new follower :)

Looking for something?

Related Posts with Thumbnails