Wednesday 4 July 2012

Insecure Writers, let's get going!

Hello my dearies and welcome to Tessa's Blurb!



Today's the day for July's Insecure Writers' Support Group post, and I'm writing it with a biiiiiig smile on my face, because I've finally finished (nope not my book) my university studies!!! In spite of my job conspiring against me, I've sat the last exam, passed and am now officially done with that stage of my life.

Which means...guess what...

I HAVE TIME TO WRITE!! 


WHOOOHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!


Now all I need to do is decide on which of my numerous WIPs I'll be focusing on...uhm...yea...that's been an ongoing problem for years now. I have so many ideas, so little time, and even less of an attention span. 

Does that happen to you guys? Do you have characters clamouring for attention in your head, desperate to have THEIR story told, and noone elses? Do they interrupt each other and stop you from finishing anything? Well, that's what happens to me. I'll be in the middle of one story, and then, BHAM!!, there's that Shiny New Idea that wants to come out and play. 

Right now. 

Let's just say my Muse and I don't always see eye to eye on these things, and he delights in distracting me when the going is good and abandoning me when I could do with an idea or two. 

I'm thinking I'm not the only one with this sort of problem - does it ring a bell with anyone else out there? Any suggestions as to how you decide on what story to follow? Or what story NOT to follow? 

I could really do with some advice! Or maybe a multi-sided dice or a deck of tarot cards. You never know......

Photobucket

INFO ON THE INSECURE WRITER'S SUPPORT GROUP or the tab up in the menu bar right on this blog....

Here's the rest of the hop, do go visit some of the other insecure writers out there!

10 comments:

dolorah said...

Sometimes, I just gotta plink myself down at the computer, grab my glass of wine, and diligently work at whatever I open. Being an old lady with 5 kids has given me lots of practice in the "ignoring the annoying voices" aspect of writing. Which, sometimes, means the Muse, if its not quite on the same page as me.

I tell my muse "tough, this is what we're doing right now". Sound good? Yeah, I'm full of it; but sometimes it works :)

Congrats on passing all your exams and finishing *throws confetti* Yay you; what a feeling of accomplishment you must be experiencing.

Have a happy 4th Tessa.

.......dhole

Roland D. Yeomans said...

When I get that way, the ghost of Mark Twain grumbles, "Let the seat of your pants hit the seat of your chair and write the first sentence that comes to mind." Sometimes Mark is a grouch! LOL.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Tessa, I envy you! I only have one story screaming at a time.

Ella said...

Congrats! :D

I have the same issues as you!
So many ideas swimming...which one do I toss the life jacket, too!

You are not alone...I think write down all your ideas and pick the top three. Then try to write a bit for each and see what is tugging at you to continue!

Nice to meet you~

Clay said...

Congrats on finishing studies. You must feel like you have too much to write on with. I think it might be time to deal out some cards and dice and use them to help you choose :)

I was actually in the shops today looking a for a multi-sided dice to guide me on which path to take. I have two very bare bone WIP's and can't decide on what to do. I am lining up to do one of them as part of nanowrimo [http://campnanowrimo.org/]in August but I feel a dice could really help develop a direction, as crazy as it sounds.

You will work this out. Be proud that you have something to work on. Good Luck. Cheers

Annalisa Crawford said...

Hi - I'm stopping by from the IWSG - congratulations on finishing your exams. I've got a couple of projects on the go, but they're mostly short stories so it's easy to hop between them.

Enjoy your writing time.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you have time to write! I wish I had more than one idea at a time. Sometimes I have none...

Unknown said...

@ Donna: Thanx! Happy 4th July to you, too! Your advice sounds good, though I'm always scared I'll scare Mr Muse away for good! Maybe I'm coddling him.... hmm....

@ Roland: Mark is right. pants + chair = writing

@ Alex: Wanna have some of my stories? I have plenty. Even a few sci fi ones.

@ Ella: Hi there! Nice to meet you! *picks up pen and paper and writes down top 3* Great idea!

@ Clay: I've been thinking of one of those role-playing game dice thingies... I think I have one somewhere...

@ Annalisa: Cool! I seem to be incapable of writing short stories - they always turn into long stories...

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

Yes, I hate that when you know you should finish one thing, but the other project is calling to you.

Unknown said...

I used to be chock full of ideas. But as time goes on, I'm looking for original concepts and they just aren't coming. Every week I come up with an idea, which I throw out by the next week...
We just have to press on, right?

Looking for something?

Related Posts with Thumbnails