Saturday 14 May 2011

Inanimate Objects...

It's TRA's BLOGFEST of INANIMATE OBJECTS today! 


The task she set: 
The idea is to write an entry of NO MORE THAN 1000 words that somehow incorporates the personification of inanimate objects. It can be a poem, a short short, a letter (perhaps to your favorite childhood toy?), a fairytale, a scene from a dream, or even a song--anything you want! It can be something you've written in the past or it could be totally brand new...it's all up to you!
So here goes....

***

It moved.

I turned my back to it but tried to continue watching out of the corner of my eye. Yep, it moved. Again. But when I whirled around to face the damned thing, everything was just as I'd left it.

Dammit.

"I know what you're up to," I said, aiming for my aunt's patented you-brat-stop-that-now tone of voice. "Don't think I don't!"

I could have sworn the yellow glass eyes glinted with evil laughter.

Some days I really hated my job. As if managing a junk store wasn't bad enough, it had to be my aunt's (not that aunt, another one) magical junk store, full of monkey's paws, hands of glory and racks of supposedly lucky charms for wrists and keyrings.

And one decidedly evil-looking porcelain doll sitting right in the middle of the most prominent shelf in the store. It probably wanted to keep an eye on things, because it sure didn't agre to being moved.

I'd tried several times, but it was always back in its place the next day, giving me the evil glass eye.

We stared at each other until the little bell above the door tinkled and heavy steps dragged my gaze towards the customer.

Oh. My. God. No way was this guy human. Nobody was that perfect.

I worked hard at keeping my jaw up as I studied this excellent specimen of manhood. Black, curly hair hung down to his shoulders and dark stubble covered his chisled jaw, managing to look dishevelled rather than unkempt. Amber eyes glowered at me from beneath raven-wing eyebrows,  burning with fury. He also had power rolling off him in tsunami-sized waves.

I almost cringed back. Mr I'm So Handsome It Hurts wasn't happy, and if my witchy senses hadn't entirely deserted me, he was at least half fey. I cleared my throat and put my hands down on the counter to steady myself.

"May I assist you, sir? Is there anything in particular you're looking for?"

He stopped a foot before the counter, crossed his arms before his chest (that caused some shivers on my part, what with the image of myself being in those arms running through my head), but didn't say anything.

"The Sprite-Off Candles are on offer this week."

He didn't look interested.

I couldn't quite stop myself from fidgeting as he stood there, doing no more than raising an eyebrow at me.

"What!" I shouted. Okay, so I couldn't deal with the silent treatment.

"I'd like my sister back."

My turn to stare.

"Now, if you please, witch," he said, leaning forward, fire sparking in his eyes.

"I have your sister?"

"Yes," he said. "Or more precicely, your aunt had my sister, and now that she's gone, I want her back."

"Ah....why did my aunt have your sister?" He frowned, clearly not liking the question.

"My sister wasn't always...wise...when it comes to dealing with witches."

A slow smile crept into my face in spite of my effort to restrain it. Auntie May had been notoriously bad-tempered and quite willing to let others feel it.

I turned to look at my friend the evil doll.

"Green God!" the fey exclaimed when his gaze followed mine and he spied his porcelain sister. I held my breath, waiting for the inevitable explosion.

It came soon enough, just not the way I was expecting. Was he laughing?

He was laughing, laughing so hard he had tears in his eyes, no less.

"Serves her right," he wheezed. "She always did think too much of herself."

With a loud crack, the shelf the doll was sitting on broke in half and dumped her on the floor.


***

OK I know so-so ending sorry. Hope you liked it anyway... ; )

Now off with you to check out the other entries... HERE. 


Inspired by:

The Enchantment Emporium
The Enchantment Emporium
by Tanya Huff
 

Photobucket

8 comments:

Wendy Lu said...

Great, great job Tessa-- it was kind of eerie, but in a good way haha.

Using the pseudonym "Mr I'm So Handsome It Hurts" was like a cherry on top. And I love how you began the whole thing with "it moved." ;)

Thanks so much for participating in my blogfest! I've had SO much fun hosting it.

~TRA

http://xtheredangelx.blogspot.com/2011/05/lets-see-that-inanimation.html

The Words Crafter said...

OH, I really really liked this! I also liked how you let us see the whole story. Bravo!!!

dolorah said...

I did like it. The tone was edgy, flip. I loved how you brought in the witch aspect. A very well built story.

........dhole

Golden Eagle said...

I love the way you added the fey and the witch the story--and great ending!

roh morgon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
roh morgon said...

Damn typos. Let's try this again:

Eeeww - scary dolls that move themselves.

I hate them. I had nightmares about just this kind of doll when I was a kid (way before Chucky).

Aaahh - hawt, dark-haired, not-quite-human men.

I love them. Can't get enough of them.

You scored major points with me, Tessa. Got an 'eeeww' and an 'aaahh' with the same piece.

Nice job.

So, where can I get more of tall, dark, and fey? Will we get to see him again?

Trisha said...

Haha, love it :) This was a really fun read!

Racquel Jones said...

Great entry. I really enjoyed this. :)


*~` http://rockielove.blogspot.com `~*

Looking for something?

Related Posts with Thumbnails