Wednesday 4 May 2011

Pet Peeves - when you sit down at your desk

In case you did not notice, I took part in the epic A-Z Blogging Challenge last month. (Really? You didn't notice? Where have you been!!??!!) One of my most popular posts was P for Pet Peeves (when reading)...

So I've decided to get a clue and make this a recurring theme. I have MORE than enough Pet Peeves, after all...

Today's topic is pet peeves

when you sit down at your desk.

You know that moment you sit down at your desk - for work or writing pleasure - and the world just drops away and your mind snaps into high gear? It's a rare thing, but it does happen. 

Here's what stops that great I'm-going-to-get-something-done feeling and makes me feel like I shouldn't have bothered getting up, after all: 

  • My coffee mug is almost empty.


  • My pen is running out of ink. Or the printer is. Actually, it's usually the printer - I tend to have lots of spare pens lying about. 
  • The phone rings whilst I'm sorting out the bookkeeping. Or writing contracts. Or plotting. Or anything not conductive to interruptions. Same goes for people knocking on the office door. 
  • The printer is out of paper. 
  • The dogs/children/husband/wife desperately need you to let them out/go shopping/pay attention. Preferably when you're in the middle of a meeting/phone call. 
There's more, of course, but I'll stop ranting now I think. What about you? Pet peeves that snap you out of that perfect working space of mind? (not writing space of mind, mind you, unless that's your job - writing deserves it's very own pet peeves day I think!)


Photobucket

7 comments:

Heather M. Gardner said...

My cell phone is Droiding but its out of reach. I'd have to move a slumbering cat to get it. Might as well so I can fill the damn self-emptying coffee cup. While I'm up I better pee. I better get back up rolls out while I'm in here. Is that the dryer buzzing? Better see to that before the clothes wrinkle. Hang them up in the closet before I forget. Make the bed while I'm thinking about it. Was that my cell again? Where is that thing?
Wasn't I supposed to be doing something right now?

Unknown said...

LOL OMG I couldn't agree more.There's always one more thing, isn't there?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The phone zaps me. Usually I sit down, start working, and then realize I shouldn't have drank two water bottles thirty minutes earlier.

Wendy Lu said...

Haha great post Tessa. :) I totally know what you mean about the empty mug of coffee...I am a heavy "water girl" and drink at least eight cups (no, tumblers) a day. Two of my biggest pet peeves when I'm working is discovering that my tumbler/water bottle is empty yet AGAIN and when I realize I have to go to the loo -- again.

TMI. XD

CONGRATULATIONS ON COMPLETING THE A-Z CHALLENGE. You officially rock!

~TRA

http://xtheredangelx.blogspot.com

Amanda Borenstadt said...

When I try to get up earlier than everyone else and try and stay very quiet and do a little writing, but one of the kids comes wandering into the kitchen.
LOL
Great post! :)

Liz P said...

For me that would be my adorable little Jack Russell who just can't get enough attention, no matter how much you give.

Rebecca Dupree said...

I hate, hate, hate having to get up to pee when I'm on a roll. Sometimes I will wait so long to go pee I will limp to the bathroom and my editor laughs at me. I don't think it's funny.

Looking for something?

Related Posts with Thumbnails