Tuesday 10 January 2012

Cut to the Quick (a dare)

I was chatting with a good friend of mine (who's busily editing and proof-reading her most wonderful novel right now) on FB the other day and somehow we got to the topic of first chapters, or rather how problematic they can be.

She said she changed hers around over and over, and she's still not sure it's what it needs to be right now (she has my vote of confidence, though - she's brilliant, and so's her work). I've had this problem many, many times before - so much so, in fact, that more than one idea was stopped at chapter one because I came no further than that.

Then she mentioned something she read somewhere: When editing, just cut the first chapter off. In fact, cut the first two and start with chapter three.

I was a little taken aback by such a radical suggestion, but it did get me thinking...

How long does it take a writer to find his or her voice, and truly get to the meat of the story? How much of this voice-finding is part of the story?

The answer: I don't know.

So I thought I'd give it a try. Here's the first paragraph of the third chapter in one of my WIPs....
I followed along behind my master like the good dog I was, right up to the main doors of the temple and the silent guards on either side. I approached more slowly than the prince. I really hate to admit this, but they kind of intimidated me. I’ve always had a healthy respect for all things holy, and these guards fairly glowed with godly righteousness in their pristine white uniforms with their pretty but slightly disturbing blood-red crosses and golden sunbursts on their right shoulders. 
I stopped a few feet from the entrance, not sure what to do. My master almost crossed the threshold, but he looked back, beckoned me forward. 
But I couldn’t. Not one more step, not towards His holiest of holies. Their God, their male God, implacable, unforgiving. I would not, could not, go into this his most personal realm. 
I think my master understood, or perhaps he felt my fear, because he gave me one of his half-exasperated, half-understanding looks and turned to speak to the guards instead.
“Marik, Soren, you keep an eye on Cavan, here”, he told them. “And you, my boy, you stay right here where they can see you. If someone bothers you, you may defend yourself this time.” He turned to the guards one last time. “You heard what I said. If someone attacks him, he is permitted to defend himself. See to it that he manages that, will you?” They saluted, but he was already gone, into the temple and whatever prayers called him there. 


What do you think? Does this sound like a good place to start a story? What about you? I dare you to post the first paragraph of your third chapters on your blogs!!!




Photobucket

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Not sure. I've heard that as well. I still went with my first chapter on both books.

Unknown said...

Well, I can definately confirm that the first chapter worked for you! It's an interesting idea when you're stuck, though. To get the juices moving... ; )

Avadonja said...

I actually did this. Cut the whole first chapter off and started in chapter 2. It was a better hook and the story was staring. I guess I tend toward build up and back story in my first chapters. It only made it a more dynamic read.

Kittie Howard said...

Not having read what you wrote earlier, it's difficult to compare, BUT what you posted today definitely caught my interest and made me want to read more. Actually, I think this opening is a winner and go with what works.

Delia Moran said...

I've done this. Not so much just cutting off the first two or three, but taking the first three, bullet pointing the essential elements, and condensing. I brought 12,000 words down to less than 4,000. It needed it.

Also, what Kittie said. I can't compare, but this is an interesting beginning.

Erin Kane Spock said...

I have trashed and written new first chapters from scratch, but chapter 3? That's interesting.
Yes, your post today was interesting. I would read more and did not feel lost.

Myne said...

I've not heard that before. I'll check my third chapter and see if it makes sense.

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

Like kittie says, I don't have a comparison... But I do think this plows right into the story. I definitely chopped a couple of chapters off the beginning of my wip at some point along the way. :)

Looking for something?

Related Posts with Thumbnails