Tuesday 8 March 2011

Giving it up for Lent

Now, the internet being such a wonderfully equalizing thing, I have no idea what most of your religious views are. Not that it would make any difference - I already love you all. The point is that for those of you who don't know, tomorrow (wednesday) is actually Ash Wednesday, the first day of the catholic fasting period, Lent. It marks the end of what is, in Austria at least, the 'ball season'. Today was (the last day of) Carneval, in fact - which basically means good-bye-to-meat by the way.



You're meant to give something up for lent, something important to you. Something that is a true sacrifice for you, and thus meaningful in some way. I'm not really very religious - or at all religious, to be honest - but I am roman catholic if you really want to know. 

As such, it was a childhood constant (almost everyone else in my primary school was roman catholic, or some species of catholic, too) to (try to) give up chocolate, or TV, or some such for lent. Things that seem important, given up because it was a ritual all of my school friends performed rather than for any deeper reasons. 

I'm still not religious enough to give something up for that reason, but I am going to take this opportunity to give something up - not for the sake of ritual, not for the sake of religion, just for my own sake. For myself. 

A lot of things come to mind... chocolate, for one. And TV. 

But I don't want to fall back into old patterns, so it has to be something different. I thought of Coffee, but I don't think I could manage that. I don't want to set myself up to fail. Maybe that's not quite the spirit of things, but honestly, coffee? I need my coffee. 

I will, however, try to fool myself with decaf. One proper coffee, the rest will be fake. Or so the theory. 

The other thing I want to give up is wasting time. I'm really good at that, and it's going to be really difficult to do this...impossible, in fact. So let's say I want to waste LESS time. 

I also want to do more sport. I play squash regularly with my sister (we don't really do matches, we just hit the ball against the wall - does wonders for releasing aggressions, I tell you), I take riding lessons and tennis lessons. The latter have been really hard to organize lately, but I intend to work on that. 

One last thing, but for me, probably the most important: I will give up buying new books for Lent. 

No, I'm serious. I have more than enough books on my shelves, they deserve my full attention. So no books for Tessa until easter. 

To sum it up: 

For Lent, I will....
  • try to fool myself out of drinking so much coffee by drinking decaf instead
  • waste less time
  • do more sports
  • buy NO books
I'll let you know how I do. 

What about you? Are you giving something up for lent? Or for the next month or so? 



Photobucket

9 comments:

RosieC said...

Wow, what resolve. Four things at once? Talk about discipline.

I haven't given up anything for Lent in years. In fact, just a couple of hours ago I thought, hmm, I wonder when Ash Wednesday is. Ha!

Anyway, best of luck! I'm sure you'll do great. :)

Unknown said...

LOL, I haven't actually DONE it yet. But I'm giving it a try.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No books until Easter? One more resolve - finish X amount of the ones you own, right?

Dawn Embers said...

Good idea on the book one. I really shouldn't buy books till I've read at least 10 of the one's I've bought in the last year. We'll see if I can manage that.

I've heard of some people starting by doing half-half with the coffee (half regular and half decaf) and then switching to full decaf at some point. *shrugs*

My mom and her family are mostly Catholic but I never really hear any of them giving up anything for Lent. Maybe once or twice my cousins have and I think my sister occasionally does but that's about it. I'm the odd sheep of the family in that not only am I not Catholic but I'm not Christian. Make for awkward family gatherings but I survive.

dolorah said...

Well, good luck with the coffee and book buying goal.

I'm selfish; if I gave up something that really mattered, I'd fail. Miserably. And make everyone around me miserable :)

........dhole

Unknown said...

If I start making people (or myself) miserable, I'll stop (I hope). I can see that being a problem with the coffee... Although @Dawn's idea is cool...

Kristina Fugate said...

Wow! You must have some kind of willpower. Good luck! I know I couldn't go without my coffee (and decaf just isn't the same.) Lol.

Oh, btw, I gave you the Stylish Blogger and One Lovely Blog award. They're waiting on my blog if you want them :)

Dominic de Mattos said...

Hi Tessa

Lent is not just for catholics - we mark lent in the protestant tradition too! I have just come back from and ashing service in fact. I have given up coffee - I am doing a reasonable job of convincing myself that tea is an acceptable substitute, but it is hard going. I also gave up alcohol, but that is not so difficult. The idea for me is that every time I think I would like a coffee, I remember why I gave it up - to deny myself as Jesus denied himself, and that directs my thoughts back to God.

Good luck with your self discipline!

:Dom

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your bravery! Giving up coffee? I salute you:)

I'm trying to pick up running over Lent, so far so good lol

Looking for something?

Related Posts with Thumbnails